Are you ready to catch some gnarly waves? Well, get ready to surf high up in the sky on a steel track. HangTime is now open and riders will literally “hang ten” in their seats on this gravity-defying coaster. It’s the first dive coaster on the west coast and here are 5 reasons to ride this tubular attraction!
#1. The View
HangTime has an awesome Holding Break where riders will hang at 60 degrees for ten seconds while looking down over the first drop. At 150 feet in the air, the views are breathtaking. That is until you drop…..Then be prepared to scream!
#2 Negative-G Stall Loop
HangTime is only the second roller coaster in the Western Hemisphere to feature a Negative-G stall loop which gives riders the sensation of floating, hence the name “HangTime”. While you may feel like you are experiencing floater airtime, rest assured your lap bar keeps you firmly in your seat.
#3 The Ride is Extremely Smooth
Once this ride descends down the 96-degree drop, you are catapulted into an acrobatic series of radical inversions and loops. There is really no chance to catch your breath once you have launched, however, the 2,198 feet of track is as smooth as an ocean breeze. You won’t feel any bumps or jerks and the bucket seats are extremely comfortable. The ride features a clamshell lap bar and seat belt, but that's it! The rest of your body is able to move around freely.
4. Cobra Roll
One of the most thrilling parts of HangTime is its epic cobra roll which resembles a cobra's head. It’s a double inversion with a half-loop, followed by two half-corkscrews, and finishes with another half-loop. Be prepared for some wild hair once the ride stops.
5. Colorful Nighttime Track Chase Lighting
This is a really fun element for guests who are not brave enough to tackle “HangTime”. LED lights are strategically placed on the seafoam green track that chases the ride so onlookers can follow its progress on the track. In addition, the lights shine in different colors to mark holidays and special events throughout the year.
HangTime is officially my all-time favorite roller coaster and it has something for every level of thrill-seeking. The dramatic ascent is especially my favorite because all you can see is the sky above you. It is by far one of the best adrenaline rushes I have ever had!
Tips for HangTime:
- All loose articles must be removed before boarding. That includes glasses, hats, and loose change. For those with long hair, they may ask you to tuck it into your shirt.
- There are absolutely NO shoulder restraints on the ride. For those that might enjoy more body movement, I recommend sitting on an outside seat. For those that prefer less, an inside seat may be better.
- Sitting in the very front will give you optimal viewing and the most intense ride sensation.
- Fast Lane will be accepted at the ride as well as the Boarding Pass Program for guests with special needs.
- HangTime will have an on-ride photo at the end of the cobra roll. A FunPix station will be located at the Boardwalk Surf Shop where guests can purchase Hang Time merchandise.
- Look for the lifeguard stand inside the train station.
Facts About Hang Time
- Hang Time is considered an “infinity coaster” which means it allows for higher capacity through longer trains. There are 3 trains that seat 4 across for a total number of 16 passengers per train.
- The ride also features a magnetic rollback system
- Hang Time has a maximum speed of 57 mph
Watch Hang Time in motion
Or here is a video mashup of the hang time media event.